SYLLABUS M.PHIL COURSE WORK GENDER SOCIOLOGY SOC_804
- Social Construction of Gender
- Gender VS. Biology, Equality Vs. Difference
- Women in the family: socialization, nature VS. Gender, gender role, private-Public dichotomy, sexual division of labour
- Emergence of feminist thought
- Socio-historical perspective
- Mapping various women’s movements
- Gender and Sociological Analysis:
- Feminist critiques of sociological theories / prevailing theories
- Feminist methodology as critique sociological methods/methodology
- Emergence of women’s studies.
- Gender based Division of labour/work:
- Production VS. Reproduction, household work, invisible work
- Women’s work and technology
- Development policies, Liberalization and globalization and their impact on women
- Gender, political Economy and work.
- Language and Gender
- Gender, Power and sexualities
- Nationalism, State and Gender
- Race, Colonialism and Development
- Gender and Transnationalism
DEVELOPMENT AND WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT: PART: II
Gender and Society:
- Economy: marginalization of women and sexual division of labour.
- Polity: Reservations of women.
- Religion and Culture: women’s nature as repositories of cultural practices and traditions; marriage, dowry and property.
- Personal Laws and Civil Code: Hindu code Bill, Syrian Christian law
- Muslim personal law; customary law and Tribal women.
Issues affecting the quality of life of Women:
- Land rights
Major social Issues:
- Domestic Violence